Book now
 

Fiuggi History


Felcia, Anticoli, Fiugy. The origin of Fiuggi dates back to Pre-roman times, when the small village of Felcia shared a common fate with the Ernica confederation. After a long series of battles and alliances, in 367 B.C., it submitted to Rome.
The memory of the Roman domination is however far and faint. The only information passed on through the centuries report that Felcia was located on the Via Prenestina and that its waters, the famous "Fons Arilla", had curative properties. In the Middle ages, the town grew in size, became more important, and changed its name to Anticoli di Campagna. It would then be known by this name until the beginning of the XX century. The history of the village, feud of some of the most illustrious Roman families, has always been closely related to the Pontifical State, to which it belonged.
The Antincoli castle, now completely destroyed, changed many owners and belonged to a series of families: Cajetani, Sforza, Borgia, and Colonna. The Colonna family were the last in charge of the city and detained their power until 1816, when they left the feud due to the excessive taxes imposed by Pope Pius VII.


 
 
 

With the exception of a short period, when it was conquered by Napoleon, the city remained in the Pontifical State until the reunification of Italy. Anticoli di Campagna, with its ancient tradition, is an historical pearl, a perfectly preserved medieval village that has retained its character.
Today it is Fiuggi’s most ancient district, surrounded by city walls, ramparts and access gates to the old village. Years later, when the city started booming, it expanded towards the valley. One change after the other, the development was quick: in 1911, the small village of Anticoli di Campagna became Fiuggi, and the medieval country village was turned into a modern tourist resort.

The name Fiuggi is believed to come from fern ("fiugy" in the local dialect), a plant which grows in the surrounding woods, or from the city’s famous water, that flows through your body (in Italian “fugge”) when you drink it.
 
The wonderful Grand Hotel Città di Fiuggi, summer venue for the most famous Italian shows and events, was built in 1910. It is now a congress centre.

In 1911 the city opened the famous Fonte Bonifacio VIII spring, also visited by the royal family. Fiuggi thermal baths were a regular holiday resort for politicians, artists, aristocrats and bankers. However, Fiuggi’s Golden Age came to an end during World War II, when many areas in the Ciociaria region, among which Montecassino, were bombed.
 

 
   
Silva Hotel Splendid Congress & Spa - Corso Nuova Italia, 40 - Fiuggi (FR) - tel +39 0775 515 791 - fax +39 0775 506 546 - n.verde 800 362 605 - silvasplendid@silvasplendid.it
Realizzazione siti internet per gli hotel fiuggi : Pensareweb s.r.l - copyright 2007